Today I’m going to write about bad days.
The car won’t start-it’s falling apart
I was late for work and the boss got smart
My pantyline shows-got a run in my hose
My hair went flat-man, I hate that
Having a bad day? Maybe the little mechanics that make your every day tick are just a little off. Maybe you broke a nail opening the mail, or you got a run in your hose. Or maybe you’re like me and the world has given you all the bad news in one day.
This morning I found out that I can’t bring a puppy into my current apartment complex (2 hours before I was about to get said puppy), I didn’t get interviewed for a couple of teaching jobs, and I am remembering the most influential people in my life, who passed away three years ago.
For the cherry on top I just got my first student loan bill.
Inevitably even the most perfect people have bad days, and considering I’m nowhere close to perfect, my bad days can be frequent. However, my new philosophy to bad days has become: put some lipstick on it and call it a bad day.
I’m not sure about you, but looking good has always made me feel better, even if it is a crummy day. Here is a list of some things I do to remedy a day where everything goes wrong.
- Dress up. Well, if you’re going to have a bad day you might as well look good doing it. So I put on my make up, heels, and fix my hair really nice. I have found when I am having a bad day and look sloppy, I feel even worse. Plus, think of it as telling that bad day to kiss your butt. Even though life may not seem the best, it won’t keep you from looking your best!
- Treat yo’self. And by that, I mean what it sounds like. Go out of your way to give yourself a consolation prize, because you deserve it. I know, I know, this is how spending habits are formed. Retail therapy is probably not the best answer to all your problems, but get yourself just a little something. It can even be something like a snack from Dollar Tree. For me what makes me feel better is buying a new set of K-Cups and going home and putting on some coffee. Caffeine makes everything better, I promise.
- Doing something productive. Okay, so every time you try to get something crossed off of your to-do list, some painful obstacle comes up. Some days just seem more frustrating than others, when you have to jump through unnecessary hoops to get your stuff done. Thus, make a new to-do list! It can be something simple like sweeping/mopping your floors, or cleaning out your trash-filled car. Maybe you go work out! Therefore, at the end of the day at least you can be proud you got something done!
- End the day peacefully. Upset? Unwind at the end of the day by doing a hobby. It’s hard not to end a bad day on a disgruntled note. No one likes going to bed feeling unhappy, so do something that you enjoy doing at the end of the day. It helps take the tension from the day away, and when you do it right before your bed time, it makes it easier to go to bed feeling a little more at ease. After all, tomorrow will be better, right?
- List the positives. Even when the world may be telling you that you don’t measure up, you do. Instead of wallowing in self pity, think of all the things that make you great! You are strong, beautiful, and very special to so many people in your life. You have so much to look forward to, even if it’s just the small things, like coffee with your friend next week, or a new movie coming out.
Things will get better. Life is a roller coaster that goes up slowly and shoots back down, then jerks you sideways and upside down. Sometimes you feel like you’re spiraling out of control, but it just makes you all the more grateful when you reach the fun part of the ride and can enjoy it.
At least I think.
I know this doesn’t have to do with anything creative, but it was something I needed to share with my followers. I hope those of you out there have a better day too! I promise it will get better!